Town planning is complex.
Town planning laws, rules and regulations have multiplied in the new Planning Schemes.
The way Councils and VCAT interprets town planning is often confusing unless a person understands the system.
We help our clients understand the processes so they are able to achieve their objectives.
HOW WE HELP OUR CLIENTS
We believe our clients benefit when they have greater insight into how the system works. We have the expertise to understand the planning requirements of the many Councils in Melbourne and to discuss these requirements with each Council. We endeavour to get greater understanding between our clients and Councils, and we can call on other professions to assist, where additional advice is sought or required.
We strive to assist our clients to achieve results in the form of better quality development that is successful.
WE ARE A SMALL FIRM AND WE CARE ABOUT OUR CLIENTS.
Teamwork is important to us. The system has many players including council officers, councillors, the public, various authorities, VCAT and many disciplines including planners, engineers, traffic engineers, architects, heritage architects, landscape architects, arborists and more. We can often bring together the necessary parties for each application (they are all different) and smooth the process by finding common ground.
WE ARE OUTCOME DRIVEN
- We prefer to negotiate and come up with creative solutions. We have expertise in negotiating and mediation.
- Our aim is to save our clients time and money and to be effective in pursuing their projects.
- If necessary, we will go to VCAT and we have done hundreds of VCAT cases successfully.
- Our early involvement in planning matters can also save clients time and money and in some cases avoid serious problems.
- We endeavour to foster good relations with other professionals and only submit good quality work and follow best practice in all our work.
- We have many repeat clients who have developed projects throughout Melbourne. We believe these contribute to our most liveable city. We take pride in playing our part in creating a better Melbourne.
Matt Ryan is the managing director of Urban Planning Mediation and has over 30 years experience within both Local Government and the private sector. With a Bachelor of Town Planning (RMIT) and Graduate Diploma of Local Government Management, Matt has been an instigator of innovation within town planning processes of Victoria.
While in local government, Matt was the driving force behind the requirement for site analysis in Victoria and has also extensive experience in mediation of town planning disputes.
After holding senior government positions at North Sydney Council (Director Planning and Environmental Services), City of Casey (Director Development Services), City of Heidelberg (Manager Planning and Building), City of Traralgon (Manager Planning) and Town Planning Appeals Tribunal, Matt established an independent town planning practice specialising in the management of permit applications, mediation and VCAT appeals.
Tony is a qualified town planner with a Bachelor of Urban Planning and Development (Melbourne University) and has been working as a town planning consultant since 2012. He has prepared planning permit applications and reports for a wide range of residential, commercial and mixed-use developments within Melbourne and has managed and coordinated large-scale projects. Tony has also been involved in panel submissions, strategic projects and presented at Local Government committee hearings.
Whilst currently also completing his studies in Building and Construction, Tony is passionate about continuing his role in providing accurate feasibility studies and facilitating high quality outcomes for his clients.